Monday, November 17, 2008

Awsome Shoes




These are the new Shimano R-300 Custom Fit shoe. I got these a few weeks ago when we were in St. Louis for Heathers medical school reunion. I got them Custom fitted there but had not had a chance to ride them until yesterday.
Lets start with the custom part before I tell you about the ride. First they take the insoles out and bake them in this special Shimano oven. After a few minutes they pull them out and put them back in the shoe. Then you put the shoes on and stand for 5 minutes. After that is done they take the insoles back out and put the shoes in the oven for a few minutes. This is the fun part. After the shoes have cooked you put your feet in them. They are really hot at this point. Next comes the the vacuum bag. They put this bag around your foot a suck all the air out forcing the shoe to mold to your foot. I will not lye, the pressure is almost uncomfortable. But man the shoes fit like a glove. You can see the bumps your toes made on the outside of the shoe.
Back to the ride. As most of you know with new shoes comes new cleats. I am always worried about getting the cleats just right, because a cleat that is off just a little bit can cause big problems with your knees. After a lot of measuring and guessing whether or not the cleats were right I was out the door. After a few peddle strokes I now know why pros get custom fitted shoes. I can't believe the difference, it feels like you are wearing slippers on your feet. You don't really feel the shoes at all. And as far as the cleats go, this is the first shoes I have ever owned that I did not have to go back and readjust the cleats. I can't wait to ride again. If you have an opportunity to get these shoes they are well worth the price.
scott

1 comment:

STC Captain said...

Im with ya 110% - those shoes rock.
I ALSO hate new shoes / cleats to get them dialed in. I liked the so much i bought a second pair, and are now dialed in so i am set for a while.